Football World

Join us now, it takes less than a minute! Smile

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Football World

Join us now, it takes less than a minute! Smile

Football World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Football World

The best football forum

4 posters

The tennis thread.

Azarenka
    Azarenka

The tennis thread. Empty The tennis thread.

Post by Azarenka Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 am

I don't care if it's not Wimbledon, you're getting a tennis thread.
    Chris
    Chris
    Admin

The tennis thread. Empty Re: The tennis thread.

Post by Chris Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:13 am

Djokovic > All.
    Azarenka
    Azarenka

Post by Azarenka Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 am

Chris wrote:Djokovic > All.

While he's not my favourite, it's true that he is undisputedly the best right now.
    Chris
    Chris
    Admin

Post by Chris Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 am

Azarenka wrote:

While he's not my favourite, it's true that he is undisputedly the best right now.
    Who's your favourite?
    Azarenka
    Azarenka

Post by Azarenka Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:31 am

Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

Who's your favourite?

On the men's side, Federer. Class act all round, on court and off.
    Chris
    Chris
    Admin

Post by Chris Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:32 am

Azarenka wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

Who's your favourite?

I like Tsonga the best but he's not on the same level as Federer, Nadal, Djokovic etc Mad
    Azarenka
    Azarenka

Post by Azarenka Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:36 am

Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

Who's your favourite?

I like Tsonga the best but he's not on the same level as Federer, Nadal, Djokovic etc Mad

Tsonga won't do as well because he plays the most entertaining tennis out of those four Laughing The game right now is too homogeneous, suits the players who just are happy to rally for hours and hours. That's partly why Federer is declining I think - he can't last long enough without making an error now, not consistently anyway.
    Chris
    Chris
    Admin

Post by Chris Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:42 am

Azarenka wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

Who's your favourite?

Tsonga won't do as well because he plays the most entertaining tennis out of those four Laughing The game right now is too homogeneous, suits the players who just are happy to rally for hours and hours. That's partly why Federer is declining I think - he can't last long enough without making an error now, not consistently anyway.
    Do you think Murray will ever win a grandslam? I hope not tbh.
    Reach_Yeah
    Reach_Yeah

Post by Reach_Yeah Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Can Federer make a serious claim to be the greatest when Nadal and then Djokovic surpass him quality wise while he's still technically in his prime?
    Chris
    Chris
    Admin

Post by Chris Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Probably not if thats true lol.
    Azarenka
    Azarenka

Post by Azarenka Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:
    Chris wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

Who's your favourite?

Do you think Murray will ever win a grandslam? I hope not tbh.

Not unless Nadal, Djokovic & Federer are all injured in the same slam. I think his chances have gone and he blew them all...fortunately :oh:

Reach_Yeah wrote:Can Federer make a serious claim to be the greatest when Nadal and then Djokovic surpass him quality wise while he's still technically in his prime?

Federer's 30 years old, he's not in his prime. 2004-07 was Federer's prime, and only Nadal really pushed him then. His achievements surpass any player in the history of the men's game.

If Djokovic can keep this dominance up for another two or three years, only then could you even discuss the matter.
    Reach_Yeah
    Reach_Yeah

Post by Reach_Yeah Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:09 am

Azarenka wrote:
    Federer's 30 years old, he's not in his prime. 2004-07 was Federer's prime, and only Nadal really pushed him then. His achievements surpass any player in the history of the men's game.

If Djokovic can keep this dominance up for another two or three years, only then could you even discuss the matter.

I disagree. If Federer is 30 then his physical prime was the past 3 years, during which Nadal and lately Djokovic have dominated. 2004-2007 might have been when he won most of his titles but the quality in opponent wasn't there like there is now.
    Azarenka
    Azarenka

Post by Azarenka Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:55 am

Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

I disagree. If Federer is 30 then his physical prime was the past 3 years, during which Nadal and lately Djokovic have dominated. 2004-2007 might have been when he won most of his titles but the quality in opponent wasn't there like there is now.

How'd you work that one out? Neutral Many tennis players retire in their late 20s.
    kyro7
    kyro7

Post by kyro7 Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Rafa > all.

Even if Novak is better.

Sad
    Reach_Yeah
    Reach_Yeah

Post by Reach_Yeah Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Azarenka wrote:
    Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

How'd you work that one out? Neutral Many tennis players retire in their late 20s.

Many female tennis players retire in their late 20s. The only male tennis players who retire at that age are from injury or because they are nowhere near the top and have lost motivation.
    Azarenka
    Azarenka

Post by Azarenka Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:56 pm

Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:
    Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

Many female tennis players retire in their late 20s. The only male tennis players who retire at that age are from injury or because they are nowhere near the top and have lost motivation.

Exactly, because they're not the player they once were when they were, say, in their mid-20s. There's no doubt Federer is still in great physical condition, but he isn't as quick as he used to be. I still think, on any surface, peak Federer would beat peak Djokovic.
    Reach_Yeah
    Reach_Yeah

Post by Reach_Yeah Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:06 am

Azarenka wrote:
    Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:
    Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

Exactly, because they're not the player they once were when they were, say, in their mid-20s. There's no doubt Federer is still in great physical condition, but he isn't as quick as he used to be. I still think, on any surface, peak Federer would beat peak Djokovic.

No, my point was they were never really near the top. Maybe Federer was better 5 years ago, but he shouldn't have lost much pace by 30, never did really much on pace, and has more experience now. In terms of finesse he's the best, but when Nadal and Djok came and upped the power levels by a few notches he struggled to keep up. Anyways, we're going round in circles. I only raised the subject to hear a other people's opinions. I think for the time being he's considered just about the all time greatest, but Nadal and Djok have a few years left in them to further cement their claims!
    Azarenka
    Azarenka

Post by Azarenka Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:56 am

Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:
    Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:
    Reach_Yeah wrote:
    Azarenka wrote:

No, my point was they were never really near the top. Maybe Federer was better 5 years ago, but he shouldn't have lost much pace by 30, never did really much on pace, and has more experience now. In terms of finesse he's the best, but when Nadal and Djok came and upped the power levels by a few notches he struggled to keep up. Anyways, we're going round in circles. I only raised the subject to hear a other people's opinions. I think for the time being he's considered just about the all time greatest, but Nadal and Djok have a few years left in them to further cement their claims!

True Laughing The game is going through a weird period at the moment (although pundits seem to be bumming it), it's hard to make comparisons between now and previous years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 8:09 am